Post Your Own Work

 New Fan Works  Old Fan Works  Zelda Series  Multimedia  Features  Interactive  Site Info
[Reviews - 47] Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Chapter one: Kokiri forest

In the vast, deep forest of Hyrule long have I served as the guardian spirit I am known as the Deku tree the children of the forest, the Kokiri, live here with me. Each has his or her own guardian fairy. However there is one boy who does not have a fairy.
And now that boy was dreaming once more that terrible dream, the sky was tearing in storm. The bolts of lightening struck in random areas lighting up the grey dull coloured clouds. Amidst this storm stood a boy unarmed and defenceless. He starred up upon a huge structure made of stone, dotted along the top were thin holes that in times of war and battle would burst open with a flock of arrows, also there stood a tall drawbridge made of wood that was now weak with the rain and above the drawbridge’s waste stood a symbol of three triangles with eagle wings on the base. At the bottom of the walls was a moat, the rain speeding its flow. To the boys’ amazement and horror the bridge began to slowly open and the torches that sat on either side of the connection illuminated the water that coated the old bridge, at his feet there was the remains a stone road. Inside was a village and out of the drenched streets and soaked cobblestone the sound of hooves echoed. A sense of fear was brewing in the child. Out of the cold wet streets rode a horse, clad in the finest royal silk, purple with golden ornaments, the pallid steed rode out as its black hooves collided with the road and sent the rain drops air born once more. The horse road out past the boy, upon it sat a woman with white hair but a young complexion and wearing a form of war paint, clasping the back in fear was a young girl, she starred helplessly back at the boy as if to try and tell him something before the horse rode of into the abyss and the galloping disappeared into nothingness. Then out rode a second horse. It had a covering most of its body and back a crimson cloth with White stripes dotted along its edges, and its thick black legs jutting out the bottom, on its front was a chest plate designed for a steed. The plate also bore a symbol of a demons face starring mindlessly forward and along the horses mane was metal scale armour with spikes poking out like the mane on a dragon, covering its face was a metal helmet and on its sides two more armour plates. It was clearly a warhorse. But the rider was what attracted the boy’s attention, the man starred at him malice written in his eyes and wearing a cruel grin, he raised his hand out to commit what seemed murderous deed. Then the dream fell white. No more was heard nor seen.

“Navi, Navi.” a voice sounded in deep within the forest “where art thou?” the voice said as if blind “I am here, wise one.” a small smooth voice said as gently summer rain falls “come hither” the little being flew closer to the speaker “Oh, Navi the fairy listen to my words, the words of the Deku tree” the little fairy’s ears pricked up. “Dost thou sense it? The climate of evil descending upon this realm, malevolent forces even know are mustering to attack our land of Hyrule…for so long the Kokiri forest has stood as a barrier deterring outsiders and maintaining the order of the world…But before this tremendous evil power my own is as nothing” the voice paused gravely, Navi found the idea of the “great Deku tree” being powerless difficult to believe “It seems the time has come…” She knew the time of which he spoke “For the boy without a fairy to begin his journey” A cool tear drop trickled down Navi’s cheek and past her lips, though she couldn’t understand why “The youth whose destiny it is to lead Hyrule to the path of justice and truth…Navi go now!” this was a shock she had never heard the Deku trees voice so urgent, for ancient and wise his pace of speech was often slow. “Find our young friend and guide him to me. I do not have much time left. Fly Navi” he shouted, “Fly, the fate of the forest” the tree paused grimly “nay, the world depends upon thee!”Navi nodded her body and flew of into the forest, skimming past trees on a stable through the woodland. The wind blew her hair and she skimmed like a slate over the breeze.

In the forest the young boy slept, he woke suddenly his face drenched in fresh sweat that was dripping off his head like tears. He sat up in his bed that was but a log cut in half with an accurate hollow in it. He had kicked the pale sheets of himself in his restless sleep. He walked over to another log, in it was another hollow filled with fresh clean water and sat above that was a shabby mirror, starring back at him in the mirror he saw a skinny boy with blond tuffs of hair pocking out of the front of his long green pointed hat, he also wore a green tunic with a chestnut brown belt along with a gold buckle and leathery brown boots. Next to the mirror was a small cup that the boy filled with water from the hollow and drank it in deep steady gulps. Occupying his sight were many things he did not use but the other children forced on him as storage. There were two long pieces of firewood, just at their feet was a wooden pail filled to the brim with berries, it had a large silver handle that was darkening with age. And next to which was a bundle of rope, above that was a hunter’s saw and an axe. Just left of that was a door with a curtain draping over it. Near the door was a haystack and a collection of buckets, over that was a window with a wooden shutter and a curtain pulled to the side revealing it. By the window was his breakfast table that was made simply out of wooden stumps. The young boy noticed the nook and took an apple from the wooden bowl that rested on the table ignoring the many old glasses that he had drank from the night before. He stepped out the door to greet yet another miserable day amongst his peers. The kokiri, the children of the forest, were born from the great Deku tree they were immortal and would never grow a day older. All the Kokiri lived in tree houses; literally, they were all hollowed out tree trunks, fairies acted as parents to these children and would follow them wherever they would go. The Kokiri forest was a spectacular place with firefly’s illuminating it at night. That day none had any work to do, except link that was to enter the lost woods (a fearfull cursed place that was just next to the Kokiri forest) and search for food and provisions. As autumn was steadily making it’s long Journey to the present the forest maintained a distant chill, so folk found ways to busy them selves.

Back when it was decided that Link should enter the woods most of the Kokiri children were gathered at the Kokiri shop, owned by a chubby Kokiri called Hollo, he wore a stubby pointed turquoise hat and tunic, he was much too short to get a clear view from behind the counter so he would make the occasional leap into view if he ever thought anything of interest may occur. He had two pointed tuffs of hair pointing from the back of his hat; he wore a pompous expression though his attitude was nothing more than polite. Gathered around in little groups the Kokiri children chatted, Fado (a Kokiri born on the same day as the young Kokiri girl, Saria) was making much gossip, he had a love for the fiddle and wore quite extravagant clothing even more so than Mido the self proclaimed “boss of the Kokiri” Fado wore a green tunic (like all the Kokiri) though his was more like a vest with darker green sleeves coming out of its shoulders and a symbol of swirling patrons on the right hand side of his chest, attached to his belt was a piece of cloth that had triangular and diamond shaped patrons in an amber colour and dangling at its side a piece of crimson cloth. Fado also wore a pointed hat and had a lot of hair poking out just exposing his pointed ears. His favourite topic now was of the lost woods. “Yes, imps live in that wood, skulking imps. I hear that they are children who get lost in that cursed place, how I don’t know but I do know I will never enter that forest for all the gifts the Deku tree can give!” many listened; this somewhat saucy Kokiri child was prone to over talking. He gently supped a glass of water. “Mean old Mido…made me pick up the rocks outside his house.” said Linder, trying to change the conversation. In another corner were the twin girls, Drona and Elma, who were chatting to one another, while a blond girl who had her hair in braids in the back of her head was talking to the “know it all brothers” just to see if they really did “know it all”. At this time Mido entered. He was a short boy and had all the makings of a browbeater, his hat was longer than most Kokiri boys and his clothes a lighter green, some how the “Great Mido” had rather torn clothes, some said it was intentional to make the forest believe he was a champion gone through many trials. His freckled cheeks was something that could be noticed from the moment he entered and under his tunic he wore a Wight shirt that was exposed along his collar, with his usual gusto he summoned silence. “As you all undoubtedly know autumn is coming in and the food shall diminish. therefore I am using my right as the Boss of the Kokiri to see to it that a chosen Kokiri, fairy or no fairy, shall be sent into the lost woods and gather rations.” everyone present guessed it was Link. “I shall now choose the Kokiri to complete this task, em…hollo, no too weak.. Er.. Linder, no too dense.” He murmured to himself, though speaking intentionally loudly. “Hmmm.. He’ll have to do. LINK!” every one showed false amazement at these words and continued with their business. Fado took some money of Linder who at Mido’s words lost a bet.

Link was now visiting his constant friend, Saria; her house was between his and Drona and Elma’s house. “I had the same dream,” he murmured sadly starring at his reflection in a cup of water “About the tall people and the finely clad Kokiri girl? And the hoseis?” asked Saria sympathetically. “Horses,” corrected Link, “And I don’t think she was a Kokiri, she didn’t have the look about her.” Saria’s house had a plush carpet in its centre and unlike other Kokiri she had wooden floorboards, and the walls were clad with drapes placed by Mido (who was quite attracted to Saria and showed more than just favouritism). But she wore modest clothes for her living state, in her emerald green hair she wore a hair band, she wore a green tunic, and instead of a skirt piece they appeared to be shorts (her out fit was darker than most Kokiri would choose) the tunic was similar Fados design, and boots and a belt to match. Link looked down at the wicker carpet that was under the dinner table he was sitting at. “ But if she was short she must have been a kokiri mustn’t she? Then again if she was with tall people she could be like …”she cut herself short “ Like what?” asked Link “Well… perhaps she’s a short tall person, if she isn’t wearing kokiri clothes then it would make sense!” Link doubted this extremely. “ How can a tall person be a short person? This is much too confusing, I’ll leave it at that.” Saria let out a sigh of relief. “Well now, how has Mido been behaving? As charming as ever I’m guessing…hmmm?” Saria spoke sarcastically. Link answered sadly “Just as bad as ever. One thing I don’t understand is why does every one do as he says?” “Because..”Ansered Saria “at the time he proclaimed himself Boss he did not behave how he is now. He had planned great things, he even is the one that ordered the training centre on that hill to be built, but the power went to his head and then you came along. Every one was so glad to see a new Kokiri that he grew jealous and began acting cruel to you and convinced most of the boys to believe that because you have no guardian fairy that you are lesser than them, now we have just gotten ourselves stuck into the habit of listening to him. But he a joke really, nobody takes him seriously.” “Well we allowed it to become this way, why don’t you just tell him to stop, he honours you more than the Deku tree.” This disgusted Saria “I am not about to lower myself to that. I’m not a boot kisser,” she laughed to herself “I have always known that about you Saria, it’s something I admire about you, but now one of the Kokiri must enter the lost woods and Mido has chosen me. Though he is indeed a friend, the tales that Fado has told me are frightening, imps, wolves’ shrubs and plants that sprout into life. I never want to go into those dreadful woods.” Link now stared deeper into his cup. “Half of what he says is untrue.” “ Then I shall fear the other half and live to wonder what side is true.” Saria laughed gently. “ Link you know that I always visit the wood, it is not to be feared. Gods hide beauty in the strangest of places. The Deku tree certainly does.” Link was now intrigued by what she had said. “But should they choose to hide beauty, why not let it be seen?” to which Saria answered. “Well if beauty surrounded us it would not be beauty.” She said this smiling as if an adult explaining to a child. Just as a conversation was about to restart Elma (a friend of Saria’s) entered the room. “Link!” she cried “Mido is calling a meeting in his house! Something of importance I think.” Saria and Link followed up the hill to Mido’s home. Elma was a typical Kokiri girl; she wore a green sweatband that held back her ginger hair, a green tunic with a leather belt and brown boots, her tunic was like a vest also though her arms were bare. Link heard Saria curse Mido under her breath.

They entered Midos home that was even more expensive in appearance than Saria’s. It was very cold for the ground was made of stone, on the far end of a long red carpet lined with golden embroideries was a stump used as a podium with steps made of small logs cut into fine sizes just right for Mido’s feet. Elma found her sister Drona and they began to talk, Hollo was peering through cracks in the crowd while Olivio jested with “the know it all brothers”. Oakin (who was a gardener at Saria’s house) was talking to Rown, a young girl who enjoyed the view from atop the Kokiri shop “That meanie Mido made me cut the grass at sarias house. Mido told her he would do it so she would like him but I’m the one doing all the work! You and her are close friends so will you help cut the grass?” While Linder was complaining about the many times he had to clear rocks that the teasing Aldo would leave outside Mido’s house, Irch was the unfortunate one who would now face his complaint’s. Irch was a normal Kokiri boy; he wore a stout pointed hat with the colour simply a shade of turquoise, his tunic was torn and chipped at the edges, and it hung down hiding his belt, his red fringe covered his eyes, his boots were a lighter shade of green than his over worn tunic. “Kokiri please be silent!” Mido shouted over the crowd, they stared up at him; they were prepared to hear another speech about the many things that Mido detested. “As you know summer has but three months to survive, we will need food and fire wood to last us winter and autumn. Oakin shall continue gardening duties at Sarias house, and whoever is discarding stones outside my home shall be punished with the utmost authority, Irch you shall guard the exit of the woods and …”Mido continued his ramble, Link sat uncomfortably near the door. Eventually it was re-announced that Link was on provision duties. As Midos speech drew to its seemingly distant close Link and Saria exited the house secretly. She followed him as he walked to his house and gathered supplies for he knew many who had only returned several days after entering the forest. He placed his travelling hat upon his head, and to his great surprise he felt joyous excitement. Biding Saria a short farwell he pushed his way through some ivy and through a hollow trunk he entered the lost woods.


Enter the security code shown below:
 Sections
The "Post Your Own Work" section is powered by eFiction. To get it for your site, go to www.efiction.org.